Monday, November 15, 2010

Pre-Nia

I first learned about the core and how to use it from my dad when I was 13. My fiesty, intense French father had a passion for hockey skating. Since we lived in Savannah, Georgia, there wasn't much opportunity. But, when the rink opened at Christmastime he was there. One year he insisted I go too. Being a teenager I resisted, but once he got me on the ice, I was hooked. Not only was I hooked on ice skating, but I was hooked on the body in motion. I was amazed at the way the muscles in my abdomen contracted like mad when I did my best to fall. How tight my thight muscles (later identified as "quadriceps") were after skating and how excruciating the next morning!

I had no way to know (and neither did my father), but he had opened the door for what would become to love of my life, the passion that drives me to move and create a business based on the heartbreaking beauty that is our bodies in motion.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post Catherine. I haven't been ice skating in 20 years (falling and breaking my wrist the last time), however, your post makes me want to run and skip and leap upon the hills and mountains if for no other reason than to feel my body in motion.

    Thank you!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete