Saturday, November 27, 2010

Balance

From "do these pants make my butt look big?" to "how do I find balance in my life?" - wow, the life-shifting questions never stop coming in my life!!!
After 40-something years of searching and asking and listening and watching I have come up with the answer that works for me. I am feeling so good about this answer that I thought I would share it!
Drum roll please - NO PEEKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am the balance.
that's it
what is it?
Over the past 6 years I have discovered that when I am balanced in Body, Mind, Spirit and Emotions, my life is in much better balance. There may still be a full-on familial catastrophe raging around me but I can manage. This is one of the most profound acquisitions of my life.
When I teach Nia, my choreography is always balanced. Debbie Rosas Stewart and Carlos AyaRosas wisely chose to bring in the energy and chemistry of nine movement forms as they developed Nia. That means that from class to class and program to program my body moves in a variety of ways, reducing my potential for injury (and boredom!).
The 9 Movement Forms are divided up into 3 categories. In the Dance Arts it is the energy and chemistry of Jazz, Modern and Duncan Dance. In the Martial Arts, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and T'ai Chi. In the Healing Arts, Yoga with the Alexander Technique and the Feldenkrais Method (both considered body integration therapies).
FROM THE PHYSICAL:
I get Strong, Agile, Flexible, Mobile and Stable from the wide variety of movement choices I have every time I dance. Unless I choose to bring in repetition I do not have to expect injuries from overuse. My body can reflect emotion, it can reflect endurance and cardiovascular health as well as pleasure. It is the sensation of Joy that keeps me coming back.
FROM THE MIND:
I am conscious of the fact that my body moves differently to express the energy of each form. I know that in my body each form has a distinct "look". I am also aware of how each form feels to my body.
In my mind Jazz is sparkling, sexy, center-of-attention, flashy. Modern gives my mind and body the opportunity to shape shift, to give form to feeling. Duncan frees the child in me - gives me fairy wings, a silly purple cape made of diamonds that floats and the imagination to dance anywhere I wish to be in the moment.
Tae Kwon Do reminds me to be precise. I am the fight; strong, aggressive, assertive, and confident. Aikido's energy is grounded and centered. To win in this fight I will become aware of the energy of my "opponent". I do not need to struggle, I will blend my energy with his and we will flow. T'ai Chi, elegant and timeless, powerfully grounded, graceful and understated.
Yoga shows me alignment and balance in Yin and Yang. The Feldenkrais Method invites me to heightened awareness of how I "use" myself and how better to move and live with ease and efficiency. The Alexander Technique in practice refines kinesthetic sensitivity and shares with practitioner movement that is fluid and lively rather than rigid.
FROM THE SPIRIT:
Bring on the inspiration and the Joy!!
Nine Movement Forms + 40-something years movement experience = unlimited possibilities.
Spirit is where "anything goes, movement-wise" and I can get creative. No judgements, no planning; just my Witness to observe my habits and tendancies. Where I personalize to receive exactly what I need. This is where I learn to accept, appreciate and love my habits and tendancies and this is also where I find new ways of doing what I do.
FROM THE EMOTIONS:
Any and all emotions can be expressed through movement.
General Note: It is my belief that there are no "bad" emotions and no "good" emotions. There are simply emotions. They exist to give us guidance. They exist to keep us happy, healthy, safe and balanced (mmm, there's that word again...). We all have emotions - we all have the same number of emotions (yes, even you guys - same number!) and we are all entitled to feel whatever it is we feel. That's it. Now it's what we do with what we feel that makes the difference. This is where things can get sticky. The Energy Allies are a help here so refer back to my previous posting if you need to.
Dealing with emotions is not unlike dealing with a physical injury - address it and deal with it as it comes up. If not, injury may worsen, infection may set in and unhappiness is not far behind.
Lecture over.
Our emotional state varies from day to day. Conversations can affect how and what we are feeling. Music can have an effect on our emotions. Movement may also affect emotion; how we move our bodies can be a powerful emotional trigger. Enjoying a class for pleasure and fitness feels safe. Experiencing a class that moves my body in a way that brings up an unpleasant past may not feel so safe. It may not feel safe but it is normal and healthy. It is up to me to adjust my "volume control" so that I am not overwhelmed with what comes up. I can acknowledge and dance with it (rather than stuffing it down) at a manageable level for me.
The Dance Arts give me the opportunity to pretend, to act "as if", to express; to be larger than life or invisible. I can express the full range of my emotions through movement to a degree that is manageable and satisfying for me. The Martial Arts invites me to sense the aggressive, powerful, fearless side of myself; the side that growls and yells. The Healing Arts shows me ways to be at ease, ways to take care of myself and appreciate the amazing body I have.
I have acquired the ability to balance my life through balancing my self.
I am balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment