Monday, November 29, 2010

The Art of Pleasure

"The state or feeling of being pleased."
Thank you Random House College dictionary. I'm pleased by that definition of pleasure, aren't you? I'm not ecstatic, but I'm pleased that there is no judgement. Does that definition give me pleasure? Mmm, not so much.
I taught my 9am Nia class this morning. THAT gave me pleasure. My spirit realm was a little quiet but that's ok. Teaching Nia classes is my job and my job gives me pleasure. How many people can say that? Actually, I derive so much pleasure from teaching (and taking) Nia classes, that my body aches in a particular way if I miss a day.
Before I started teaching Nia I didn't think alot about the word pleasure outside of sex. I didn't think a whole lot about happiness either, except when I was un.
Now I seek pleasure each day. I seek happiness each day. Sex every day is a wonderful way to find pleasure. Happily, it is not the only source of pleasure.
Happy Factoid #1: Pleasure is not an indulgence!
That little tidbit actually does give me pleasure. I like knowing that as I go through my day, choosing the lovely balsamic vinegar for my salad is not a choice for a special occasion. I like knowing that feeding my body higher quality, nutritious food that pleasures my taste buds is not a guilty, uh, pleasure.
Happy Factoid #2: Pleasure is a necessity.
If you want to have friends and you want family members who do not cringe every time you walk into the room, you must remember Happy Factoid #2!!
When I take care of myself, when I give my body the rest and dance it enjoys, it repays me by giving me more opportunities (in the form of energy to burn) to do the things I want to do. When I give my mind the quiet it needs; when I release thoughts that are of no use to me, my mind repays me by being clear and sharp. When I give my emotions what they need in the way of gently processing what comes in, I can choose what I respond to and not feel overwhelmed by reacting to everything. I am repaid with patience, tolerance and emotional endurance. When I give my spirit what it needs - a voice and a willing ear - it repays me with sensitivity, creativity and an openness to inspiration from unexpected sources.
When I take the time to take care of myself/insure daily pleasure, I have more energy, I am able to think clearly, and I am loving and creative. That's not a bad result for basic upkeep!
Happy Factoid #3: Pleasure is every where.
Pleasure is possible in every thing that we do all through the day, we simply have to choose to experience with pleasure.
Waking up in the morning (my challenge to find pleasure) - before growling about having to get up so damn early - STOP. I'm going to lie in my bed for a moment, my warm, soft bed that cradles my body perfectly. I'm going to take a gentle breath and enjoy the sensation of my breath as it fills and empties my lungs. NOW I am going to get up.
Next, I'm headed to the shower. Today it's not going to be a "car wash". It won't take any longer in the shower, but this morning I am going to appreciate the temperature of the water. I'm going to be mindful of my body as I wash it - thanking each part for everything it does for me every day. Each morning I'm going to pick a favorite body part. As I put on lotion and pull on my clothes, I will choose to go through these movements with ease and find pleasure in the very routines I usually perform on automatic pilot.
Happy Factoid #4: Turn off the automatic pilot to find pleasure!!
Getting out of bed and showering will be where I choose to find pleasure today. Tomorrow I will be mindful as I eat my meals, honoring textures, flavors and temperature.
Rinse and Repeat: Turn off the automatic pilot to find pleasure!
Each day I will be conscious through a routine experience. I will seek the pleasure in what I normally do without thinking.
As Necessary: Turn off the automatic pilot to find pleasure!!
I do not need to spend any extra time or money if I don't wish to. Finding pleasure doesn't have to be a new pair of shoes or a manicure and pedicure, but it can be.
Pleasure. Every day. All around. In all realms. In the little things.
Within our grasp every minute. We just have to choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment