Saturday, January 15, 2011

Turn Yourself On!

Did I get your attention?
Cheap, provocative trick?!?!
Provocative, definitely! Cheap? Not at all, it says what I mean.
SELF-ACTIVATION
When you eat your favorite food, do you wait for someone to tell you how much you like it before you realize how much you like it?
As your heart beats, is there someone telling it when to beat? Is there someone telling it what sort of rhythm it should have? Is there someone who suggested a murmur?
We each have our own way of experiencing our lives.
Our taste buds are particular to us and while there are those who suggest we might like something, ultimately it is our bodies that have the last word.
My heart has it's rhythm. It also has a murmur. When I exercise, my heart rate adjusts in its pattern that is not quite the same as anyone else's.
When I pay attention to my breathing, I hear something unique. My body also knows how to do this without outside interference (or "help").
Heart beat and breathing are driven by our autonomic nervous system. They happen without our consciousness because they must when we're unconsciousness. We can interrupt, but not for long and doing so would be deterimental to our life span. We have no control here.
Point: WE CANNOT RELINQUISH CONTROL OF OUR HEART BEATS AND BREATHING TO SOMEONE ELSE. (Barring extenuating medical circumstances.)
Question: Would we if we could?
Is that a ridiculous question? Are you laughing and wondering what idiot would relinquish control of their heart beat and breathing to someone else?
Oooo, how about this one: can you affect who you fall for? This one makes your heart pound, the other one - not so much - maybe not at ALL?!
How about this question: what size is your body suppose to be?
How about this one: why do you have the job you have?
Mmmm: why are you going or did you go to the college you went to?
If you hate your job, why don't you change?
Do you love the clothes you wear?
Do they reflect your personal style? If not, why not?
Do you speak up when someone hurts your feelings? If not, why not?
Those are tough. This one is easier: when you take an exercise class, do you take the class from the teacher who will give you the best workout?
Does the therapist take away the depression?
(If your answer to this one is "yes", I'd like the name of your therapist, please!! Just leave it in the comment section.)
SELF-ACTIVATION

2 comments:

  1. Loved the last line in parentheses. You're funny!

    And WOW...the RED. It's spectacular!

    I like the vast arena that opens up for me when I hear/see the words "Turn Yourself On." Of course, as you alluded to initially, it does tend to pull my mind toward...well...yes, exactly, sex. Who knows how to turn me on better than me? But we'll save that for another blog perhaps.

    Something more substantial (not that sex isn't substantial)though when I hear/see the words "Turn Yourself On" is responsibility. Now there's a word that will get people running, eh? Especially anyone who is prone not to take any (responsibility).

    I do turn myself on...I take responsibility for doing so. When I wake up in the morning, I breathe the breath of life and make the decision that I am going to make a difference today. I give thanks ahead of time for all that will work out during my day and at night I give thanks -- whether everything worked out the way I had intended it to or not. Thankfulness in all things. Even my autonomic nervous system deserves some thanks; afterall, it works even when I'm not conscious of it working.

    I'm particularly thankful for Nia in my life. It does give me the best workout, bar none.

    I'm not sure if you were expecting answers to some of your questions...I posed them to myself as rhetorical, but if you want me to answer them I can.

    The last question about the therapist taking away the depression...my question would be "how can anyone be depressed?" I find life to be one thrill after another...whether I'm mad, fearful, joyful, sad, kickin' ass...whatever. There is no room for depression when I open myself fully to life...when I turn myself on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I do hope readers answer the questions? Thank you, again for your feedback!!!! I'm trying out new formats:))

    ReplyDelete