Friday, September 16, 2011

Taking Back the Knife and Moving Forward: a Birthday Tale

I realize that in order to consciously help others to heal, I must be consciously healing myself as well.

The most powerful class I've shared since experiencing my Black belt intensive was our 9am, this morning. For today I indulged and picked a few of my favorites pieces of music from my collection of Nia routines. Every song I chose was a favorite. I took the time to eat breakfast rather slowly with my son this morning, so by the time I got around to organizing my playlist for class, I had little time. I made my selections quickly,  not taking the time to consider the possible impact.

The Focus: Moving Forward
The Intent: to get closer, every minute with every step to creating the life I desire; a life that is meaningful; to consciously create shifts that heal; to create a life within which I can share the gifts I was given (this will sound familiar to some of you); to give.

These are the songs I chose:

To Mend (Cadence)
Mulatica Mia (Aya)
Qalanderi (Humanity)
No Quiero Nada Mass (Aya)
Brasilero (Cadence)
Nostalgia Workshop (Clarity)
Dah Din Beats (DreamWalker)
Rhythm Is? (Aya)
Shine (R1)
Sail (Black Belt)
Organ Grinder (DreamWalker)

To Mend was so literally appropriate, I couldn't cue. I was emotionally overwhelmed and the silence is what was called for. 

To truly share the focus and intent, I had to quiet the insistent workings of my mental body. I asked that emotion and spirit inspire and guide my dance.

My creativity has felt a little flat over the past several weeks. I have been processing such an enormous amount of information over this year (both personal and professional) and since Black belt in late August. I realized this morning, though, that I have been processing in such a way that  kept my teaching and sharing separate from my processing. Today, through my "indulgence" the two came together and produced one of the most authentic, emotionally rich and balanced classes I think I have ever shared!

With every song, I brought my self, fully present; I brought my heart; my gift (reserved when I shared the focus, but it opened and blossomed with each note of music), I brought my emotional body and allowed pain, frustration, anger, hope, joy and impatience to fold into my dance in order to have a voice. I brought my physical body; my instrument, my somatic voice through which I communicate more clearly and with more authenticity than through anything else.

Technically the playlist worked nicely. The Warm Up allowed for our joints to practice standing, shifting, pushing, pulling, reaching, bending, expanding and contracting in gentle, nurturing ways. Mulatica Mia introduced expression, slowly and playfully. Qalanderi invited us to express more systemically; moving in detail - expressing through our beautiful spines, our delicately singing fingers; opening the door to another level of Get Moving. The energy built to individual peaks - different for each being dancing and then Shine soothed the intensity a bit. Sail was freedance. It was a breakthrough piece for me in Black and as such was a meaningful and appropriate offering. Organ Grinder reminds me of Halloween and my body always moves in intriguing ways.

The choreography was there, my creativity was there, knowledge of the music was there, all 4 realms were engaged, principles were there. I have never shared a class like this one. This was my first step into my next step, into my transformation; my future self made present. This experience was my shift. It showed me what can be done, how it can feel and why I teach this discipline called Nia. 
Moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment