Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Beautiful - first breath

My outsides are cool, my insides are blue
Every time I think I'm through, it's because of you
I've tried different ways, but it's all the same
At the end of the day, I have myself to blame
I'm just trippin'

What is beauty? What do we consider beautiful? Why do we consider certain qualities and characteristics beautiful? Did someone tell us? Is it a “gut” reaction? Why don’t we all consider the exact same people beautiful?

I’m ok with the number that supposedly represents my age. I don’t volunteer it often unless asked directly. The older I get, the more things change after the number is spoken. When I look at it from a different perspective in which the number is irrelevant - I L O V E my age. I love everything I’ve learned (ok, some things I could have gone my whole life not learning and been ok and, yea, I don’t necessarily love some of the ways in which I’ve acquired certain knowledge/wisdom) – mostly – and I like the vantage point.

You can buy your hair if it won't grow
You can fix your nose if he says so
You can buy all the makeup that M·A·C can make
But if you can look inside you
Find out who am I, too
Be in a position to make me feel so damn unpretty

I feel pretty, oh so pretty
I feel pretty and witty and bright

Recently comments were made regarding Madonna’s performance at the Super Bowl. One of the hosts of the show exclaimed at how amazing it was that she could move that way at her age. Out of the corner of my ear, I believe I heard the number 53 tossed about. I’m not 50 yet but I’m close enough so that I don’t understand the surprise. I wonder how many other Nia teachers out there are also wondering why it should be surprising.

Never insecure until I met you, now I'm bein' stupid
I used to be so cute to me, just a little bit skinny

Why do I look to all these things to keep you happy?

Maybe get rid of you, and then I'll get back to me

(I Feel Pretty/Unpretty originally written by Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim / Corey Glover, Michael Cirincione, Dallas Austin, Tionne Watkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment